- skin test
- nounany test to determine immunity or sensitivity to a disease by introducing small amounts on or into the skin• Hyponyms:↑Dick test, ↑patch test, ↑Schick test, ↑scratch test, ↑tuberculin test, ↑tuberculin skin test, ↑intradermal test, ↑subcutaneous test
* * *noun: a test for susceptibility performed on the skin of the patient and used in detecting allergic hypersensitivity (as to pollens or foods) and in diagnosing infection (past or present) with diseases that produce local hypersensitivity — compare coccidioidin, intracutaneous test, patch test, scratch test, tuberculin test
* * *a test in which a substance is introduced into the skin, as by application to a purposely abraded area or by injection, for the detection of allergic sensitivity to a specific pollen, protein, etc., or of the presence of a disease.[1925-30]
* * *skin test nounA test made by applying a substance to, or introducing a substance beneath, a person's skin, to test for an allergy, immunity from a disease, etc• • •Main Entry: ↑skin
* * *skin test,any test made on the skin, such as the Schick test or patch test, to determine susceptibility to a disease or allergic reaction to a substance.
* * *1.n. a test for an immune reaction performed by applying a substance topically or injecting it into the skin2.v. (skin-test) [trans.] [usu. as n.] skin-testing perform such a test on (someone)
Useful english dictionary. 2012.